Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ride of Silence

I'm a bit pissed at myself for this. I only heard about it late last year and I swore to myself I would try and organise one here this year. Looks like I've left it too late again.
Ride of Silence
Basically a critical mass without the assholes. A global ride to highlight the vulnerability of cyclists on city centre streets. The ride goes at 12mph or less and rides in complete silence, kinda like a funeral procession. Everyone wears helmets. All riders wear black armbands in mourning for those cyclists killed by motorists, and any rider who has been injured by a motorist wears a red armband as well.

This ride was started in Texas after the deat of a local cyclist in 2003. They got 1000 cyclists to take part in just 10 days. The ride takes place all over the world now.

I really like the concept of this ride. No shouting or agressive behaviour. I think with a lot of riders the whole silence aspect is quite powerful.

Anyhoo, does anyone know if anybody has taken up this idea in Ireland? Anyone think we can do it in 4 days?

No comments: